Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Leo Burnett Chicago

Day in the Life: Jenny Bennett

Take a step into the daily routine of Leo Burnett Chicago and Arc Account Director Jenny Bennett.
Jenny Bennett’s day is never boring. As an account director for Leo Burnett Chicago and Arc, Leo Burnett’s shopper marketing agency, Jenny is responsible for leading strategy amongst her creative team and managing relationships with clients like ComEd and Alcon Eye Care. As if that’s not enough to keep her busy, she’s also an avid traveler and a wellness enthusiast. Follow along on Instagram throughout today as we share an inside look at a day in Jenny’s life. To learn more about Jenny, her role and her post-work passions, check out the Q&A below.
If you could describe your role in one sentence, what would it be?
My role allows me to collaborate and strategize, with co-workers and clients alike, to bring the best possible creative to consumers.
What’s your favorite part of your job?
I love how much freedom I’m given with my clients to think and explore beyond what they directly ask for. It allows me to be creative and offer new and exciting ideas and opportunities for them to consider that helps their brands grow. But my favorite part is partnering with my team to make the best work possible. I don’t want to sound generic but it really is the people that make a difference. My boss and creative director established a rule for our team: no jerks. And it works!
What’s the story behind your Monthly Inspiration Meetings?
I wanted to create a safe, collaborative environment where anyone from any department could bring thoughts, ideas or whatever in the marketplace they simply found “cool.” Additionally, it’s really valuable when working on larger teams that have different divisions because the sessions allow us to see and learn what each division is working on through creative share-outs. One key factor: Bring candy!
What’s your advice for people looking to get into the industry?
Network. Marketing is a people industry. Many folks leave agencies for other agencies, then return (I did!). With that in mind, it’s important to build and maintain relationships with people. And don’t rely solely on social networks. Personal connections matter. Lunch or happy hour is always a good idea.
What’s your favorite thing to do outside of work?
My favorite things to do outside of work are: concerts (preferably at small venues), restaurants (with good wine) and traveling. But, honestly, I also like my couch a lot.
How did you get into Barre Code and Reflexology Massage?
I like to keep my mind and body healthy. Two things that help: Working out. My sister-in-law is a co-founder of The Barre Code, a women-only fitness program that’s really fun. Through our relationship, I was able to secure a corporate rate for all Leo Burnett employees. It’s great to be able to share it with my co-workers. And reflexology massages. My favorite place is a hidden secret. I came across it after hearing I could get a one-hour massage for only $20. I’ve taken friends and co-workers and no one’s ever been disappointed! It breaks up toxins in the body and is a great stress reliever. ** How do you stay organized and maintain balance at work?** Everyone who works with me knows how much I rely on our project status document. I pretty much have a hard copy of it in every meeting I’m in. At times, I manage more than 50 projects and it helps me keep track of every detail, take notes and ultimately know what I need or what to expect next.
Best piece of advice you’ve received relating to work or life in general?
Get a mentor and consult with them often. I was fortunate to be brought into the industry through an acquaintance who has since been my mentor for more than 10 years. Leo Burnett Chicago