Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Notes - Lessons of Life - The eagle has landed

theloadstar.co.uk
When I first moved to Germany with my husband, January 1, 2001 from Chicago, with our son, I was in for a few lessons of life outside of the grand 'ole United States. What probably bothered me most personally and on a level that hit the knuckles was the music. There was almost no American or British pop music on the radio. And for a stay-at-home mom, that nearly pummeled me; instead classics of German oldies and some German pop music. And of course, TV was not better; just CNN in English, and no other English channels on cable TV.  I was miserable. Radio and TV, my only source of entertainment and comfort in a situation whereby I felt deep loneliness for creature comforts, my family, my friends and my country. Fast forward almost 19 years, we have several popular radio stations in Germany and from Austria on regular FM, that play American and British favorites, as well as a possibility for internet radio including worldwide music. And surprisingly radio stations in Italy, for example, and even South Africa are playing top American and British hits -- no longer pining for music. And with a satellite we get enough TV choices to satisfy our curiosity. And 19 years later we are still here and practically own the place with happiness and love that we moved here. Lesson: Invest in Tech Stocks.