Louise Lennox goes all Irish with this lovely breakfast treat. RTÉ
- 1 pound (16 oz.) self raising flour (All purpose flour + 5tsp. baking powder + 1tsp. salt)
- 4 oz butter (cubed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 floz whole milk
- 4 oz honey
- 6 oz frozen mixed berries
- 1 tub of clotted cream
- In a large bowl rub together flour and butter until they resemble breadcrumbs. (Can use a butter cutter).
- Whisk eggs, milk and 2 oz of honey together then pour into the flour mix. Gently stir with a fork until a soft ball is formed.
- Roll out scone dough into a 10inch round on a lightly floured surface and cut into eight triangles or use a cookie cutter to do this.
- Lightly sprinkle a baking tray with flour and place scones on top leaving space in between them. Brush the top of scones with beaten egg yolk mixed with 4 Tbsp.water.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- While the scones are baking make the berry compote by simply heating the frozen berries in a pot with the remaining honey, bring to a boil, simmer for five minutes.
- Serve the scones warm cut in half topped with the warm berry compote and clotted cream.
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup whipping cream